Money360 Weekly Roundup: One Percent Edition

One interesting part of writing a blog on personal finance is that I’m constantly on the periphery of ideas like “the 1%” – the idea that the people in the world who are in the top 1% in terms of wealth have different motivations than the remaining 99%.

The advice I give is all about encouraging people to move up that ladder and that process changes your perspective. Eliminating debt, building up savings and investing, and establishing some financial independence for yourself is going to change your perspectives on the world, at least to a degree.

The challenge comes from balancing the two. How do you reward people who have worked hard without punishing people who haven’t had opportunities? It’s a problem that society is struggling to answer, particularly today.

My goal is simply to help people take advantage of whatever opportunities and resources they have to get themselves into a better position.

10 Things the Successful Teen Does My oldest child is starting to move into the age where he’s establishing social and work habits that will last him for a lifetime. (@ joe taxpayer)

What Your Tax Prepares Wishes You Knew The biggest message here is that you shouldn’t just rely on your tax preparer for everything. You have responsibility in terms of keeping records and having some idea of what’s going on. (@ money ning)

Warren Buffett’s Annual Letter to Shareholders I agree strongly with Buffett that you shouldn’t expect that a pension will carry you through the rest of your life. (@ business insider)

Might as well burn that bridge all the way down to the pilings It’s hard to say you’re sorry when you’ve made a mistake. It’s much easier to just blame others – and thus make it worse. (@ seth godin)

Loading Disqus Comments ...